The chinese shar pei may seem to be calm and peaceful, but they are definitely not. These dogs have a very aggressive nature. They were bred as fighting dogs and hence this trait is often prevalent in them.
An owner of chinese shar pei must know about the nature and temperament of the dog before adopting it. If you own one such animal for yourself, it is your duty to understand their traits and train them well so that these traits could be overcome by other positive ones like loyalty towards its owners etc.
A few things which needs to be done if you adopt such an animal are discussed below:
– An owner must have a lot of patience to train the chinese shar pei. These dogs are quite stubborn in nature and it is not easy to train them unless they are firm, consistent and patient throughout .
– The dog must be trained from its infancy itself so that it could learn fast. Socializing with other animals also helps in this matter.
– Since these dogs have a tendency of chewing everything available, an owner must keep his/her belongings or things which may seem as attractive for these dogs out of their reach. This should be done before the dog starts chewing those items as puppies might not be able to differentiate between their toys and your property, thus leading to such habits .
– Aggressive behavior should always be discouraged because excessive agressiveness could lead to dangerous consequences.
– These dogs need proper grooming and care because their skin is prone to many diseases. Hence an owner should always keep a check on the skin of the dog and should take them to a vet regularly for checkup. The owner must bathe the dog regularly because these dogs are not clean in nature despite being tidy.
Are Chinese Shar Peis dangerous?
– These dogs are known to attack humans and animals without any warning. They may not show any aggression for some time but they tend to attack their prey suddenly.
– Chinese Shar pei has an extremely aggressive nature towards other animals or pets in your household including cats, rodents, birds etc. Be it of the same sex or opposite sex, these animals do not spare anyone if they think that there is a threat to them coming from those animals .
– The owner should always remain alert about its behavior because it might show hostility toward anyone without having given you any prior hint about it. Even after being socialized with human beings quite well, certain rare cases have been reported where chinese shar pei have attacked their owners as well .
Is a Shar-Pei a fighting dog?
The Shar-Pei is a breed of dog known in the West since the late 1960s. The name “Sharpei” () in Chinese means ‘sand skin’ or ‘rough coat’. It was given this name because its most distinctive feature is its thick, rough fur. Although it belongs to ancient southern breeds, it is relatively unknown outside China and the circles of canine enthusiasts until after 1970 when it gradually became more popular . The breeding of these dogs for fighting played an important part in their history, especially during the Second Sino-Japanese War against Japan around World War II when food was scarce(Lo).
During that time they were crossed with other Asian breeds like Chow Chows and other fighting dogs to enhance their skills as a fighter. In the 1950s and 1960s, they were brought from China to California .
But these dogs have been famous for being highly protective of its owners and their family fraternity until war times arose . But there are still some cases where chinese shar pei has attacked its owner during such disputes and hence one should always remain alert about it.
– It is important that an owner must be firm with these animals because they tend to react badly if you lose your temper towards them or shout at them.
– These animals respond well when you provide them with proper grooming and care, but only if they like their master in the first place. If you fail to make them like you, there are high chances that they might get aggressive towards you.
– They do not like strangers coming to their homes without their prior consent. As soon as they find any stranger, irrespective of his/her age or sex, near them, they immediately bark at them which ultimately results in an attack.
– These animals should be trained from their infancy because it helps in bringing out the best qualities in these dogs. Socializing with other animals also helps them become more cooperative and comfortable around humans.
– These dogs need proper training for becoming a good breed because when they are left unattended, they have tendencies of being highly aggressive towards human beings, especially during excitement when food is involved. Hence one should keep belongings away from them when no one is around because they might snatch them.
– It is always better to keep these animals in a secluded area where no one can sneak into your home without being noticed by the dogs. As for as human beings are concerned, it is not necessary that all Chinese shar pei show hostility towards them but there are certain rare cases that have been reported where Chinese shar pei have attacked their owners as well.